23/07/2017

Things I've been watching on TV and on-line, good and bad (Pt 2)

Continuing my look at some things I've been watching recently, I am going to move on from superheroes to other films and TV series.


I am, to a certain degree, a creature of habit, as are we all I suppose. With films and TV this means that I often like to re-watch things, especially those things I liked in my youth. This habit can bring both happiness and disappointments. I was recently reminded of a few shows that I watched as a child and so decided to revisit them, to my joy I still found H. R. Puffenstuff a complete load of nonsense that raised a smile and even the odd silly laugh, I was also pleased to find that I was still entertained by Land of The Giants though maybe not as much or in the same way as I was as a child. Timeslip, on the other hand I found dull and slow and really not very good, and I found The Champions boring and cheesey. I may try again with some other series but I think I might leave it a while and choose carefully. While revisiting old TV series may not always give the results you expect, most of the time, the same is not true of films. I have been re-watching some films that I saw as a child and loved, and also some that I have seen as an adult and loved. First up is the absolutely brilliantly surreal Rubber, I would urge everyone to watch this film even if it's only once. I am not going to spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it but let's just say that it is an interesting film with a unique take on serial killers. Another film by the same people who made Rubber that I also watched again is Wrong, whilst it is in a similar style to Rubber it is a very different and slightly more surreal film in many ways, but equally worth watching.


And now to new ground, well in some cases old new ground. Moving on to films and TV series that I haven't seen before. Let's start with TV shows.


I missed out on watching Broadchurch when it was on TV so have now made up for it by binge watching all 3 seasons. I now understand why so many people were praising it so highly. Brilliantly written and filmed, the editing, soundtrack and cinematography were second to none. Added to that was a fantastic cast that acted their socks off. One of the best things on UK TV for some time. Another great series that I watched and then caught up on the older seasons was Line Of Duty, again it was brilliantly written and well made with a strong cast, I am hoping they do another season soon. I have also dipped into a few other programmes but not watched as fervently, one of the better ones is Night Shift which reminds me a little of MASH with a big helping of ER mixed in. My good lady wife introduced me to a series called Master Of Photography, which is a competition between European photographers where they are given set tasks each week, it was really interesting, as was Landscape Artist Of The Year.


Now on to films. I must admit that most of the films I've watched of late have either been superhero films or will be covered in my next blog entry, but I did watch a few other films. One was London Has Fallen, it is (to parphrase a footballing term) a film of two halves. The first half of the film is a well thought out action movie that has a good story that is moved on well by the action sequences, but the second half is more like action for action sake, too much unnecessary violence that didn't move the story on and just seemed to be there to add to the body count. Another was the film of Spooks, I loved the TV series and was looking forward to the film, I must say it was ok. It wasn't as good as the series but, by keeping connections to the series in a number of places it worked as part of the whole. Lastly there was the James Bond film Spectre, while I don't think it was as good as either Skyfall or Quantum Of Solace, it was a good film with some excellent set pieces and was made to the high quality that you would expect from the Bond series.


Well, that's it for this time, the next post will be entirely about films, TV shows and odd bits I have watched on YouTube. As usual, if you have any comments please leave them on here. Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment